Sunday, March 20, 2016

Palm Sunday Mass at St. Peter's Square

Well today I actually took LOTS of photos (and I'll share lots of them).  I managed to get up and go for a run today (which is good since both the Cardinal and I were ready to leave last night's dinner at 10pm).

After my run, got ready to head over to St. Peter's square for the Palm Sunday Mass.  The ticket said "arrive 7:30am" - but the Cardinal suggested I not arrive until a little after 8.  Glad a did that!  As I flashed my "brown" ticket - I kept getting ushered further and further forward - until I found myself going up the steps on the left side of St. Peter's Basilica into the chairs set up on the left side of the Papal altar.  WOW!  I got settled in there I thought I could have a good view of the Pope in the presidential chair and at the altar (see the pictures below) - unfortunately there was some last minute moving around - and the ushers moved me to a spot that I couldn't even see the Holy Father at the altar.  DARN!  Next time...

As I sat, I prayed morning prayer.  And I was struck by a particular moment: during the psalms I was praying "with clashing of symbols, give praise to the Lord" - just as the bells of St. Peter's began to ring... the "clashing symbols" giving praise to the Lord!


So, Palm Sunday Mass begins with a procession to the Obelisk of St. Peter (in the center of the Square) led by 100's of young people (today is World Youth Day - which is why the Bishop always celebrates this day with a Mass for youth at the Cathedral in Harrisburg - in fact, today our Knights of the Holy Temple from St. Francis Xavier and St. Andrew the Apostle are serving for the Bishop).  Following the youth are the bishop and Cardinals - then the Pope.  As at every Palm Sunday Mass, there is a greeting and the Gospel about Jesus' triumphant entry into Jerusalem.  Then the procession moves toward the Papal Altar in front of the Basilica.


Mass continues as the Holy Father reaches the altar, incenses it, and goes to the presider's chair and prays the Collect - the Opening Prayer.



During the Gospel, this was my view...


The Holy Father then gave his homily...




This is just a photo of the Swiss Guard
The gifts of bread and wine are brought forward, the Altar incensed, the Eucharist Consecrated, and all receive Holy Communion.  Following Communion, a moment of silence for prayer.







After the Post Communion Prayer - the Pope greeted the many pilgrims, welcomed the youth from all over the world who had come, made special reference to WYD in Krakow Poland in July, and gave his blessing to all present.  Then he changed out of his chasuble and begin his Popemobile journey through the Square.








When he went back into the Vatican, I snapped a few other photos of the crowd, the Swiss Guard, and a Trinitarian priest/brother for the Woods from St. Francis Xavier.







What a TERRIBLE photo - but this was where I was seated
This is for the Woods of SFX...


 All in all a wonderful morning.  Now, I get to actually concelebrate Mass this afternoon at 4pm (remember those celebrating 11am Mass at the same time at SFX and St. Andrew).  Then another big dinner tonight for the Archbishop - that doesn't begin until 8:30!  Later and later...  May need to sleep in tomorrow...

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful pictures Fr. B...how blessed we are to have you to relay all of these sacred moments with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW...Palm Sunday Mass with Pope Francis!!! Awesome! Thanks for the pic of the Trinitarian priest...can't miss that blue and red cross! We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful journey with us, Father. I'm so excited for you. Looking forward to hearing all about Holy Week in the heart of the Church.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to be in Rome for Holy Week! An old guide book I have says the Holy Saturday service at St. Prassede's, very close to Maria Maggiore, is very moving! Thx for posting your pics, miss you at SFX!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How very special Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for posting the beautiful pictures and details from your amazing experience. Such a blessings to know you Fr. Bateman!! Continued prayers for you.

    ReplyDelete