Saturday, March 19, 2016

Mass with the Holy Father

I haven't written in a few days - because (unless you are watching episodes of "The Office") who wants to hear about the normal day-to-day of going in to work?  It's been good though--I feel as though I'm getting the hang of things, catching on to what needs to be done, how to organize, how to keep track of everything...  Feel like I'm settling in.

Here's a quick summary of what other things have gone on this week (and I admit that I've stolen every one of these pictures off the internet):

- Tuesday evening - dinner with Bishop-Elect Checchio (former rector of the North American College here in Rome who was recently named the Bishop of Metuchen, New Jersey), and a fine group of priests.  Great little seafood restaurant just a few minutes walk from the house (if you come visit and like seafood - this is where we'll go!)


- Wednesday evening was the usual walk up to the seminary on the Janiculum hill: the North American College (henceforth, the NAC), for Eucharistic Adoration, Evening Prayer, and dinner with the priest-faculty of the NAC and Casa Santa Maria (where the American priests who are here studying live).  It's really a wonderful fraternity of priests; gracious and good.  As the meal came to an end, the Cardinal told me to stay behind and enjoy the fraternity of the other priests.  I did--and it was great!  Something that (frankly) had worried me coming over here--feeling alone.  But this is a great group of brothers (Several of whom I've discovered ski!!!  Can't wait till next winter!).



- Thursday (St. Patrick's Day) was a quiet evening at home.

- Friday Cardinal O'Brien celebrated Mass at the NAC for a group of pilgrims from the United States Navel Academy who have been here in Rome the past week (and returned to the States today).  As a fellow member of the military, it was great to hear the Cardinal speak about the sacrifice made by Soldiers, Sailers, Airman, Marines, members of the Coast Guard, to protect people they don't even know--much like the Good Samaritan, who paused to help and protect someone he didn't know.  I love the military background that that is such an integral part of Cardinal O'Brien.

NOW WE GET TO SATURDAY AND MASS WITH POPE FRANCIS.


This morning at 10am in St. Peter's Basilica, Msgr. Peter Wells (a priest of Tulsa, Oklahoma who has long worked as a member of the diplomatic corps here in Rome) was ordained an arch-bishop by Pope Francis.  I had a ticket, so knew I would be concelebrating Mass with Pope Francis for the very first time!

Today I didn't go to the Basilica with the Cardinal, because my ticket said to arrive by 8:45am (although I learned that I don't really need to do that--I can go over with the Cardinal and then meet up with the priests - next time).  I arrived in plenty of time to go through the now standard metal detectors before approaching the Bronze Doors leading to the Braccio di Contantino - a LONG hallway that leads up to the steps into the Vatican.  There were set up LONG tables for priest to put their bags and vest to prepare for the Mass.  (I did take a few pictures, but I have to find a way to transfer them from my camera to the computer - I can't find the card reader that I need for that).

Eventually we were given instructions on communion and given VERY clear directions that we were NOT to take pictures.  Sorry, even though the Holy Father passed by twice, and I was only 4 rows behind the Cardinals - I have no photos.  But they reminded us that the Vatican Newspaper L'Osservatore Romano takes excellent pictures.  I'll see what I find on their site in the next day or two.

A wonderful Mass of Ordination for a Bishop - AND the feast of St. Joseph, Husband of Mary and Universal Patron of the Church (and the day on which, 3 years ago, Pope Francis celebrated his Mass of Inauguration AND when, 2 years ago, our own Bishop Gainer was installed as the 11th Bishop of Harrisburg).

As I sat in the Basilica waiting for Mass to begin I started to get that "knot in the stomach" feeling - I think it was just nerves and exciting at concelebrating Mass with the Holy Father.  I tried to breathe and calm myself down - and by the time the procession began, I forgot about my tummy.

The procession began and, because this was an "invitation only" event, it was very quiet and respectful - sure people snapping photos as the Pope walked by, but none of the shouting or clapping (as they had made an announcement in Italian, English and Spanish asking people to keep a reverential mood by NOT clapping as the Holy Father entered).

VERY COOL to concelebrate Mass with the Pope during my first full-week in Rome.  Hopefully I'll be able to get some photos from the Mass to post later...

Then after Mass it was back to the house with the Cardinal--all dressed in his red cassock.  Funny how people react when they see a Cardinal coming toward them: they snap photos, they run over asking for prayer, they ask that something be blessed, they whisper "hey, that's a Cardinal."  And His Eminence is very gracious, pausing to hear the prayer request, blessing the rosaries the Spanish-speaking woman holds out for him...

Tonight is a celebratory dinner for the new Archbishop Wells (but as usual, dinner isn't till 8pm).  So I've got the day to do some exploring and grab a nice pizza or something for lunch.  It is a BEAUTIFUL day here in Rome.  Great way to begin Holy Week.

2 comments:

  1. How exciting to concelebrate with the Pope! Before you know it this will be second nature to you! God Bless.

    Thanks for doing this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...so awesome! Wishing you a blessed Holy Week!

    ReplyDelete