Monday, June 13, 2016

Investiture in Pelplin, Poland & a Day in Krakow

This weekend I traveled with Cardinal O'Brien to Pelplin, Poland, for the Investiture of 12 new Knights, 9 new Dames, and 3 new priests into the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulcher of Jerusalem.  But, like always - it starts with a good story.

When I was talking to the Cardinal's former secretaries about the "job" (both of them are from Baltimore - so it wasn't a big trip), I was told that the Cardinal NEVER checks bags - and that I should follow suit.  Ok - that's no problem.  I can manage on one carryon for a weekend - even with the things of his that I need to carry.

Here are the Pilgrim Guides - HEAVY!
BUT - this trip was not an ordinary trip.  The schedule was to fly to Gdansk, Poland on Friday - Investiture on Saturday, fly back to Rome on Sunday.  However, LONG before I had any thought that I'd be living and working in Rome, we had planned a Year of Mercy Pilgrimage to Poland & Italy.  The tour group leaves the USA on Monday, June 13.  So, it seemed silly for me to fly from Poland to Rome and back to Poland the next day.  So, with the permission of the Cardinal, I remained in Poland in order to meet my tour group on Tuesday when they arrive.

So, with all that introduction, I couldn't function on just a carry on - as I had to pack for a week - AND carry all the items needed for our pilgrims when they arrive.  [I always prepare, what I hope is, a nice prayer/pilgrimage book for people so that we can pray morning & evening prayer together, pray at significant spots on our pilgrimage, and so that they can have some written information about the places we will visit - especially when they have to tour on their own.]

The Suitcase in Question
We went to the airport in Rome on Friday morning and I checked my bag.  No problem.  Checked through to Gdansk on Lufthansa.  We arrived in Gdansk right on schedule, proceeded to baggage claim, and waited for my bag... and waited... and waited... then the sign said "Last Bag."  OH NO!  My bag didn't make it!  This is EXACTLY why the Cardinal does NOT check luggage.  That goodness he reminded me to carry this things - not to check them.

He seemed all worried about my bag - I, however, was not.  You go through the routine: go to the counter, file a claim, they told me that because of the short connection the bag simply didn't make the plane - it'll be on the next one what arrives at 4pm, then they'll deliver the bag to our hotel.  No worries!  And this is exactly what happened.  Although the Cardinal kept ribbing me about the bag: "Where's your bag?"  "Is it here yet?"  "Will you get it by tomorrow?"  He was much more worried than I about the bag.

However, one lesson learned: I WILL NEVER CHECK A BAG AGAIN - when traveling with him.

So, the story over - on to the investiture.

The old castle
We arrived Friday afternoon in Gdansk and met our driver and the Lieutenant of the Polish Knights.  they drove us to the hotel (Zamek Gniew) and location of the Vigil and dinner.  A beautiful old Teutonic castle that has been restored and renovated.  Now it serves as a hotel, conference center, entertainment center (they do joust shows - a beautiful backdrop of the castle), and wedding location (there's actually a functional, Catholic chapel in the hotel.  If you'd like to learn about the history of the castle, you can click here to go to the hotel website.
The interior of the castle - glass roof - location of banquet
Part of the grounds where our hotel room was





The castle
  Following the banquet, there was a Medieval Joust show: horses, knights, banners, trumpets, really nice.  It's something the hotel does regularly - and up against the background of this grand castle it is a beautiful spot.

Our room had a view of the Vistula river - which is certainly important and historic in world history.  


The next day, Saturday, was the Investiture - the reason for our trip - a special one for the Lieutenancy - as it is their 20th anniversary.  It took place in the Pelplin Cathedral.  I took as many photos as I could of both the investiture, the Cathedral, and the group of new Knights and Dames of the Order.



As you see. we had quite a crowd!  Cardinal O'Brien, the Cardinal Archbishop of Warsaw, Kazimierz Nycz, the local bishops and several other bishops who are part of the Polish Lieutenancy of the Order.

The Pelplin Cathedral:



Following was a lovely banquet in the Pelplin seminary - which, by the way, has over 100 seminarians just for their diocese - the Church is alive and well in Poland!


The Cardinal receiving an award from an order founded by the last king of Poland.
Then we headed back to the hotel for the evening to rest.  Next day we had Sunday Mass in the chapel in the hotel - I could only imagine the Knights of old who prayed here in this chapel - I found myself fascinated with the history.  Note the little "knight" kneeling before the tabernacle on the left...





Then we headed to the airport for our flights - His Eminence back to Rome - me to Krakow.

I arrived and checked into my hotel (the same one the group will be staying in this week).  And today (Monday) I took the chance to head into Old Krakow to visit the churches, pray, stroll the market, and just look around.  Here are some photos - and a video of the famous "trumpet call" at the top of the hour.  

World Youth day is here in Krakow the end of July.  They're getting ready! 
Part of the old fortifications - near St. Florian's Gate
St. Mary's Church
The Franciscan Church - where St. Maximilian Kolbe lived




2 comments:

  1. Ah, I remember going to Poland. Only check bags if you have no connections! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brace yourself, Father! The pilgrims are coming. Group 1 is now in Washington and ready to hop the pond.

    ReplyDelete